I had lunch with Jenn today, something we haven’t done for far too long. Things have been busy – she’s got a new job and I seem to be in court more and more, plus we both have social lives at some point. Still, it was nice to meet up and have lunch, trying to catch up on all our goings-on and make plans for the coming weekend.
I’m still deep in the winter hermit mode so any social activity feels odd and unusual. We talked about it before we parted ways – it’s hit that point in the winter where the holidays are far enough behind you and the spring is far enough ahead of you that it feels like all you do is hang out at home. Like you start to feel wistful for a time when you had friends and plans. I wouldn’t say I suffer from SAD, I’m just lazy and don’t like to be cold. Everything is more difficult when it’s cold out, everything takes just a little more planning, and it’s just that much easier to bail on plans before you’ve even made them.
So, all that rambling is leading up to me dreaming of those warm summer nights when you can sit on a patio for hours. We’re getting so close – so I thought I would remind us all of what’s waiting for us on the other side of this season.
- Jeans and tank top weather, which is obviously the best weather.
- Patios with pitchers of beer and half-priced appetizers.
- Double features at the drive-in.
- Wandering around downtown and running into people you know.
- Festivals in the park – which is basically every weekend in London.
- Evening walks with ice cream.
- Road trips that don’t include the words “weather permitting”.
- Reading outside.
- Walking home from the bars in the dark.
- Not caring how hot and sweaty you are at a concert.
- Dresses without tights and boots.
- Farmers markets, flea markets, any kind of market.
- Getting those little jobs done around the outside of your house that make a big improvement.
- Driving ranges and golf tournaments.
Generally, being outside, being active, being social. All the things I’ve been avoiding doing as of late.