I’m 39 weeks and change now, but I’ve been dragging my heels on packing up that hospital bag. I don’t know why it’s been such a source of procrastination for me, but for some reason I just have no desire to have that bag ready. At first I wasn’t planning on packing a bag, assuming that I would just pack things up once labour started. We only live 3 kms away from the hospital, so I’m planning on staying at home for as long as possible once things start happening. But then I thought better, and realized that it will be much easier on myself if I just suck it up and start packing that bag ahead of time like a normal person. Otherwise, Jagger will just have to deal with my whining and complaining in the hospital because I’ve forgotten something vital.
There’s no shortage of lists and websites to give you an idea of what you should pack in a hospital bag, but I tried not to get too hung up on them. Because we’re so close to the hospital, I’m not anticipating being in there long. Same goes for Jagger’s bag (the Jag Bag). Because we’re so close to home, it won’t be a big deal for him to run home to grab a shower if he wants.
That being said, here’s what I’ve come up with…
- Comfy jammies. Really, they’re just Jagger’s old T-shirts and a couple of pairs of jogging pants, but it should be fine. I may pick up a pair of nursing pajamas this week still though.
- Slippers. But not my good slippers, my back-up pair of slippers (what, you don’t have a back-up pair?) I’m really attached to my slippers, and I would hate for them to get all icky from anything that may happen.
- Toiletries. The usual stuff, toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, mini shampoo, etc. I just bought one of those little travel bags from Walmart that has everything in it already. I also threw in a bunch of good heavy-duty hair elastics to keep my hair out of my face.
- Lots of socks and underwear
- Stuff for the baby. I don’t like the little robe things they give babies to wear in the hospital. Blair hated hers, it was too scratchy. So, I’ve packed a couple of sleeping gowns as well as a coming home from the hospital outfit. I also picked up this super adorable kimono thing that I’ll be posting about a bit later. Also, baby socks, mitts, hats and blankets. And the car seat, of course.
- Nursing pillow. The hospital recommended that I bring my own, because they only have one and it would suck if I had to wait around for my turn.
- All sorts of fun absorbant things. You know, breast pads, regular pads, all that fun stuff that you don’t want to hear about.
- A hoodie, just in case it’s cold in the hospital/for leaving the hospital.
- Soft sport bra-y type things.
- Jolly Ranchers. The prenatal class recommended we pack some hard candies to suck on, and I loves me some Jolly Ranchers.
- Camera and charger for the camera.
- The handbook from the prenatal class, more for Jagger’s sake if he wants to look up some of the things he’s “supposed” to be doing.
I will pack…
- An iPod (hopefully). I have the speakers packed, but my iPod decided that now was a wonderful time to die. If I can, I might try to pick up a shuffle or something, we’ll see.
I’ve decided against bringing a blow dryer, because I don’t blow dry my hair on the best of days, so I doubt I will in the hospital.
I’m sure I’m overthinking things and once things get going, I really won’t care what I do and don’t have in my suitcase, but it’s a nice task to have right now to keep me occupied as my days at work wind down.
What do you think? Anything major I’m forgetting?